Skip to main content

Week 11- Free Expression

After reading and considering all 8 of the Speech Theories, the one I wanted to connect the most was #4. Individual Self- Fufillment (aka Self-Actualization) has a direct connection with social media, a prominent communication technology. Individual Self-Fufillment, according to the definition on the class page, is "Free speech enables individuals to express themselves and thereby create their own identify — and, in the process perhaps, find kindred spirits. Freedom of speech thus becomes an aspect of human dignity, human agency and autonomy." 

The part of this that resonates with me and connects the most to social media is the aspect of allowing individuals to express themselves and find their own identity. On social media, you are allowed to post whatever you like as long as it does not violate guidlines of the website. People can post their interests, no matter what they are, and find someone with similar interests. They can then connect and bond over their shared interest. It also gives an individual the ability to create themselves. For example, a makeup artist can post their work/looks on social media and express themselves while allowing for others to see their talents and become inspired. You have full control of what you post, so you never have to post something bad about yourself or an unflattering picture if you do not want to.

Another aspect of free speech is the ability to stand up for what you believe in on social media- whether this is through infographics, videos, tweets, or comments. It gives someone the ability to speak up and express their beliefs in a safe manner. People will agree and disagree, but no matter what, you have the freedom to post what you stand for (as long as it does not hurt others). Social media opens many doors for Self-Actualization.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final blog- Online Presence

I grew up surrounded by technology, so it is no surprise that I have a large online footprint and social media presence. I check social media daily, and post fairly frequently. The social medias I use the most are Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, and VSCO. These are not the only ones I use, but they are the ones I use the most.  From visiting my social media, a stranger could see my friends and family, the places I vacation, my college, and where I'm from. I have my Instagram set to private so that I can filter who sees my pictures and who does not. However, anyone can view my profile, see my profile picture, and my biography, which states my college and sorority. When creating my social medias, I have given my name, number, email, and birthday. I never considered how dangerous giving out this information could be if it got in the hands of the wrong people. I also run the risk of getting hacked, but luckily I have avoided that.  One thing to consider is that jobs can

Week 4- Civil War Statues

The times of the Civil War may seem long gone, but they are in fact relevant and occuring today. During the recent protests, protestors have been tearing down and vandalising Confederate statues that were put up after the Civil War. The Black community is upset and outraged (for good reason) at the treatment they have been recieveing, especially from the police and government. Having statues of generals who fought for slavery is not a good image and is upsetting for most people. Most southern lawmakers have made it harder to get rid of these statues, so protestors have gone in a different direction in eliminating them. One of the six freedoms in the first amendment is the freedom to assemble/petition. This allows the protest against the government to occur. The amendment says that they must be peaceful, however the mistreatment of Black people for so long has caused many to protest aggressively. In an ideal world, peaceful protests would immediately lead to change. This is not the c